Tuesday 9 October 2012

My Sewing Box

I love antique furniture! During one of my trips to the local flee-market I found this lovely antique sewing box. When I bought it it was in a horrible state! Sticky everywhere though it looked good.




I cleaned this beauty with some water, brown soap and a sponge. See below for the before and after picture.
Shocking isn't it?! The sellers put so much wax on it, it opened difficult. After washing the sewing box you could see there had been made some reparations to the box (new screws, some glue to one of the legs,...). I polished it with some sandpaper. Then I painted it with varnish for floors (two layers) and painted the insides white. I think the end result is quite fabulous!




Some tips buying antiques (things I've learned).
  • Don't let looks deceive you (it looked really good with wax, without the wax you could see the reparations)
  • Always look on the inside of the box! (there where screws sticking out inside)
  • Test the stability of the legs
  • Never buy something that is painted (you can't see the wood that way!)
  • If you want to polish the wood with sandpaper always check if it's solid wood!
Good luck hunting antiques!

No comments:

Post a Comment